This is a full-time position responsible for the review of residential and commercial plans and specifications for remodeling and new construction to ensure compliance with ICC & UCC building codes and other township codes.
General Statement of Duties:
Provides written plan review reports; notifies applicant of noncompliance, provides direction concerning required changes, issues permits for building plans which meet standards. Assists the public in meeting code standards. This includes the administration of the Springettsbury Township Code of Ordinances, the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (PA UCC) as amended, the International Building Model Codes (ex. IBC, IPC, IMC, IEC, and Energy Code), International Residential Code (IRC), and the International Property Maintenance Code. This position conducts complaint inspections, issues notice of violations and other duties when necessary. This position conducts on site building inspections that include: inspections of footing depth and width, foundation, framing, etc. and the final inspection of the finished building. This position authorizes work and/or issues stop work orders and field correction notices during inspections as necessary, assists with the preparation and submittal of citations to the District Justice office and participates in hearings when needed.
The individual in this position must have good interpersonal skills to deal with developers, construction workers, and residents in their building/renovation projects.
• Performs plan review and field inspections of new and existing residential and nonresidential structures for compliance with the applicable UCC/ICC Codes in disciplines including building, accessibility, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, energy efficiency and property maintenance.
• Assists Battalion Chief in performing all fire sprinkler and fire alarm final inspections.
• Works collaboratively with Code Compliance and the Battalion Chief on fire and life safety including reviewing preliminary land development and building plans for building and fire code compliance and coordinating locations of fire protection related equipment.
• Provides technical advice and consult with general and specialty contractors, building owners, design professionals and the general public and in matters related to building construction and applicable code requirements.
• Assists Department’s Director with Stormwater, Erosion and Sedimentation, MS4, and zoning permit applications within Springettsbury Township.
• Assists Department’s Director with reviewing all subdivision/land development plans and Zoning permit applications as submitted to determine ordinance compliance.
• General liaison between permit applicants, third party trades and third-party inspectors
• Performs proactive inspections for enforcement of plumbing construction and provides codes enforcement through the Township.
• Investigates complaints of violations of construction, plumbing and various other codes.
• Performs other assignments as required by the Director of Community Development, Township Manager or designee.
• Investigates complaints of violations of UCC/ICC and property maintenance codes.
• Delivers board packets when requested.
• Attends meetings when directed by the Director of Community Development.
• Assists township residents and the public in complying with Township residential and non-residential building code requirements.
• Issues citations and institute civil enforcement proceedings to individuals or businesses found in violation of Township ordinances and appearing at the District Magistrate's office on behalf of the Township when needed.
• Arranges and conducts meetings with the public and any applicable government officials to resolve permit issues.
• Maintain current knowledge of issues, trends and developments in regulatory standards and building code requirements governing the construction industry.
• Attend applicable building code training in order to maintain current ICC and UCC certifications.